Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Are You Annoying? (Employers)

There's a thin line between annoyance and persistence. For me, I don't know what to do when someone won't respond back to me.

Should I call them? Should I send them an e-mail? The real question is though, what do you do if they do not send you an e-mail back or if they do not phone home. Home=you.

It's seriously a bunch of Trix and Lucky Charms that will help. Maybe even some Honey Bunches of Oats.

I tried two techniques yesterday, trying to get a company to respond back to me. I responded to a post that they put on the Internet. It looked perfect for me. Well, perfect, in my mood is really just a job.

They did not respond back to my phone call. I left them a phone message because no one would answer. They had sent me an e-mail telling me that there would be a "hiring presentation" scheduled for today. I was kind of skeptical of the term "presentation," so I did not respond for a week, until yesterday. The e-mail instructed me to RSVP through a phone number. Then, when someone answered the phone, I would be notified of where this presentation was. Only nobody answered.

I called back. Still nothing. I looked up the company website on the Internet. I phoned them in a different way. In a different department. Still nothing. Finally, I sent an e-mail to the publisher/coordinator of the website/publication.

Today I received a phone call back. "We received your e-mail," they told me. Actually the person mentioned it twice. Then she said that they are rescheduling the presentation and that they would call me tomorrow or the next day. Score. They actually seemed excited to speak to me.

So that brings me to today's point. Phone calls can work. But so can e-mail.

E-mails asking/respectfully requesting a phone call can really work. If you word your e-mail right, results will happen.

People have responded much better to me when I send them an e-mail without the "To Whom It May Concern." People also respond better when your e-mail is obviously not generic. If you are copying and pasting, they probably can tell.

On a side note, one of my new favorite websites, consumerist.com can tell you about the US Post Office and their new "up-selling technique." Pretty much USPS will no longer offer the lowest rate to send a package unless you ask for it.

But back to a job. I'm going to dream a little.

Maybe someday, when I get a job and I'm trying to hire someone, I'll be able to explain why their copy and pasted e-mail didn't really strike me as sincere.

For cereal.

1 comment:

fireypath said...

dear kyle, you are clever. i like the reference to trix and lucky charms as tricks with a bit of luck that can get you what you want. but my favorite was that you ended in for cereal, tying it all together. sincerely, amy.