Wednesday, September 3, 2008

What The Flip, Internet

So there are jobs that are posted on the Internet.

They are not real. They are fake jobs, or scams.
Take, for example, monster.com or yahoo hotjobs.

What wonderful ideas these seem to be. Now, when I was first looking for a job, I thought that if I posted my resume on these sites, I would get some results. There would be people looking to hire me. I would be seen and had some eyebrows raised at.

Nope.


Most of the jobs posted on monster or hotjobs are scams or "career" opportunities that I am way over qualified for. My favorite jobs are the work-at-home jobs that say that there is unlimited potential. I have a tab open on hotjobs. The first available career opportunity is for an "International Diet Corporation Will Pay YOU $6000 Per Month To Process Weight Loss Orders From Home!"

Wow! That's so awesome! I can make some bank. Whoa there, cowboy. Actually you have to sign up for their service to find out how to make this kind of money. It's basically the people that got booted off of eBay for scams moved over to the job market. Now, the postings literally litter these sites. Which means that these sites are not actually resources at all. They are spam. They are ads. They are scams.


Also on these sites, there are employment staffing companies that flood the boards with job "opportunities." Instead of actually applying for the job that they post, you are forced to go over to the staffing company's website and register to send your resume. Then, after sending your resume, you never hear from them again. Or, they send you an e-mail that asks you to send your resume (again!) to them so they can "review it and get back to you."



They never get back to you.
They just send more e-mail asking for another resume.

Every time I see a job post that I like, or that I might be qualified for, it's not actually for that company. Instead, it's for some other random company that will never actually get your resume to the correct people.

The crazy thing is, I'm sure there are people making money off of these "services." I can't get a job and there are people scamming a genuine workforce out there. In a bad economy.

Go Internet!

Tomorrow: Other sites that are better. And worse. Monstrous.

No comments: