Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Work in The Office

I've realized that I might need to do sales.
That sucks, because I'm not a sales-gifted/oriented guy.

I'm no Dwight Schrute, the greatest paper salesman ever at Dunder Mifflin. The Office returns on September 25, just to get you in the know.

When I'm selling people on things that I know I wouldn't want if I were them, I take "no" as an answer very easily.

I'm sure there are great techniques that people have that they could teach me. The problem is, I think that I'd feel like crap if I tricked someone into buying something they really didn't need.

Well, maybe until I got a paycheck. Which is really the only reason that I think that I might have to do sales. You see, sales and health care are about the only opportunities out there.

Which is how I have an interview today. It'll be my second "professional" interview. Here's how I got it.


Since I've been running out of companies, I've taken to finding small companies. The odd thing is, I followed none of my techniques. I sent an e-mail. Where I titled the receiver "Mr." It was not a dude.

Randomly, the owner of the company called me. He acted a little bit angry with me. He was wondering how I'd heard of his company. I could tell he was a bit peeved. However, I was also confused. Why did he call me? He could have ignored me.

I told him about my background and how sometimes advertising and printing companies need proofreaders. He told me that I was confused about what his company does. I was like, "ok, sorry to bother you then, sir." Then I decided to take a chance.

I told him that if there was another opportunity that he was looking for, I'd love to be considered for it. He told me ok. And that he'd like me to come in for an interview. So weird. The owner was almost attacking. I did not get defensive, because hey, he called me.

If anything, it'll give me some interview experience, which will be invaluable in my job search. My last job interview at a website-development company was not the traditional interview that career services advisers try to prepare you for.

But, I will tell you something. Replying and sending resumes to the craigslist-supplied e-mail or the careerbuilder apply functions do not work as well as sending something directly to a company.

I think that many times, companies post on those sites because they are required to by company policies or because HR peeps are lazy.

Slowly, each day I gain just a little bit more knowledge in what to do while searching for a job.

Well, we'll see if it pays off. Literally and figuratively.


UPDATE: I just got an interview at a public television studio in my town for Friday. I sent the e-mail directly to the source...surprise, surprise.

No comments: