Thursday, September 4, 2008

Why Craig, Why?

Craigslist. Where one man's trash is another man's garbage.
But hey, you can sell it!

There's jobs on craigslist. Actually, it might be where some of my most promising hits have occurred. I applied for this one job, a web design manager last week. As with every job that I apply for, I was under qualified for the position. But hey, they (advisers and such) tell you to just apply anyway. I did. It worked out. Well, sort of. About 10 minutes later I received a call scheduling an interview. I went, it was pretty laid back and a genuine interview. I'm actually still waiting to hear back from them. I called them today and they still hadn't made a decision.

But on to crapslist. (Yep.) Craigslist is also littered with scams. That's why a job-seeker has to be smart on "the list." You should try never to send an e-mail to the craigslist e-mail that is provided. Instead, you have to be smart and look for a specific website or e-mail address that goes straight to the company. Seriously, every e-mail that I send to the craigslist-supplied e-mail gives me an automated response telling me that I have to sign up at some ridiculous website for the position. Then, they never stop e-mailing you with useless "opportunities."

Actually, all you have to do is unsubscribe from the list, which is a requirement (for the automatic e-mail to have) by U.S. Congressional law.

Additionally, when searching for jobs on craigslist, never click on the links that have the little "img" (it means image) next to the title post. Those are scams. They won't work.

Craigslist, however, does have good sorting, and simple text-based posts so pages don't take long to load. I like this. Also good (well decent at least) is indeed.com. That website generates feeds from a variety of different sources. Unfortunately, some of them are dead links or for about the 1 billion heathcare jobs that exist currently. Use the search technique and you can find a few eggs in the rough.

The real question is, what should you do after you send your resume off into cyberspace, or to an e-mail. I read a yahoo job tips post today outlining bad things to do when you send off your resume. Number 8: Wait for them to call you. Then it goes on to explain that you shouldn't wait, you should go after them.

Say I'd like to apply to Comcast. I see that they are not hiring for my specific qualifications. Regardless, I'd like to call them to see if there's something else. Except I can't call. There is no phone number listed to call the local place, which is where I'd like to work. I literally searched for about 20 minutes, and granted, I'm pretty good with the Internet. I know tricks that you would never believe for searching random stuff.

Too bad, because I'd love to work for some of these companies. Some of them would love to have me as an employee, I'd be willing to bet. Pretty much every employer I've ever had has relied on me pretty heavily, which I don't mind one bit. I get bored easily and I like having things to do.

Which might be why I'm so annoyed that I don't have a job.

No comments: