Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Prod > Productivity

Some days are more productive than others.

Like today, when I almost made $2 in the stock market. Nice.

What do you do when you feel like you're just wasting the day away, not doing anything productive? I'll tell you what you do. You plan out other days. Like tomorrow. Right now, I have a lot going on for this Thursday. (Yes, I know tomorrow is Wednesday.)

I have a career expo and I'm expecting a phone call back from a civil engineering firm on the same day.
Yesterday I made a couple of phone calls, one to a local yellow pages publisher. They were not nice. I'm not really sure why people are such jerks for no apparent reason. I literally called this one place five times and was told that the person I was trying to reach was unavailable.

I finally got fed up with that and asked when she would be available. Then the receptionist blew up. Maybe because I said she specifically always said the person was busy every time I called. Eh, that's ok. Guess I won't be getting a job there.

Ideas for "wasted" days:
-Find businesses on manta.com
-Search for other career expos
-Print out resumes
-Take speed typing tests
-Clean your room
-Send out a couple e-mails
-Apply to a couple other jobs that you find
-Follow up on a job or two
-Set goals for employment on a calendar you can see from your computer

Some of those things I did. Some I need to do. Not only does this blog inform you about job help, it also helps to focus me.

It only takes one opportunity to get a job. But it takes a heck of a lot of attrition to really find a real opportunity.

Don't be afraid to say no. I did.

No comments: