Wednesday, September 17, 2008

I Call War

Tomorrow's a big day. Well, for me.

I'm expecting a call about a job and I have a job fair.
There are two schools of thought that I can think of.

First, you can make a little bit of progress every day. Attrition, so to speak. Finding a job is war. On a side note, I hate comparisons to anything having to do with war. Pro Athletes play games. Children's games. For money. Courage is for war. Not for athletes. Or job blogs, really.

The other school of thought is to make flurries of progress in short amounts of time. That's what I do. Kind of. Mine is sort of a hybrid. Little productive battles win the war. That means I have minutes every day of extreme productivity. That's what I would do.

Prepare for these moments and then strike. Make phone calls, send e-mails and search with all the tools you know.

I have a system. I wake up, do a round of searching. Then I send out e-mails and make phone calls as needed. Then I spend some time thinking about what I'm going to have for lunch. After lunch-dreaming I focus some more. Many companies do not post jobs right in the morning.

Job posters are lazy too. They post them around 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. Right before lunch. By this time I've been thinking about lunch way too much so I'm forced to eat. Then I focus a little more. Then I write this blog. Then this blog inspires me to search some more.

Rant: I really do not like state jobs. They take way too long to apply for and there are deadlines that are usually month(s) away. That's dumb. If a good candidate comes along (like me) then hire them.

Usually every day I try something new. Sometimes it works. Many times it doesn't. But hey, that's ok.

I've got time.

But it's running out. I've got a big day tomorrow.

No comments: