Sunday, September 7, 2008

Look Out For Manta

The weekend does not mean that the job search stops for me.

It just means I have an excuse to be lazy. It's going to be tough to search for jobs on weekends when I have fantasy football. I mean, how am I supposed to search for jobs when I have useless NFL games to watch.

Regardless, even though I may be slightly lazier on the weekends searching for jobs, it is only because people (that I would want to work for) do not post jobs on the weekends. Unless, of course I want to take up that nursing job that I'm oh so qualified for.

However, I did discover a wonderful new way to search for jobs that I can almost guarantee you do not know about. Here's the trick:

-Go to manta.com

Manta is this website that is all about business. It has some cool features that you can use as resources. But that's not what is cool. It has business profiles. Like tons of them.

What you do is define a country, then a state, then a city. From that you can define an industry. Now, the next step takes some thought. And a whole lot of patience and attrition (yep, attrition) and probably the Internet.

Now, you can also define the searches to give the highest revenue for some of the companies and also other qualities (is that the right word?) such as highest number of employees and so forth. Then, you can find companies in your city.

Companies that do not post on dumb engines like monster, yahoo, indeed, simply hired and yes even that wonderful craigslist.

From there, all you can really gain is the name of the businesses, which you then have to search for on the Internet. But, at least it is a tool that is not traditional and is more focused.

Many of the businesses have their own job section that lists jobs that are not on the feeds. Also, it is then possible to get e-mails directly to people. Like not HR. What a wonderful technique.

At least I think so.

No comments: