Thursday, September 25, 2008

The Gun In The Guitar Case

I think I have a job lead.

It all really comes from networking. I read somewhere yesterday in a forum or something that 90% of jobs are never posted. People network and hear about them and steal them. From me.

If an employer is posting a job, that means that:

-The employer is desperate (Desperado=desperation?)
-The employer is looking for someone with a specific set of skills
-The employer probably doesn't want to hire you

Now, while the last one is probably untrue, it does have some realism. I originally told myself that I did not want to go into journalism. I might go into it now. If I have an opportunity.

I realize that I'm probably not going to be making a huge salary. I realize that it will likely be a slightly temporary job. I don't want to be making such low money my whole life. But hey, at least I didn't hurt myself because of a raccoon.

I mean, hey my little money that I have in the stock market isn't going to help me out. It'll likely be toast tomorrow. Although that's an exaggeration. This image is from celent.com.
I don't need a lot of money. Just enough to live, still have a little fun and live. I am a fairly frugal person. I don't eat out hardly ever. There are things you can do to save money.

Of course, there are things that you can do to make money. Like get a job.

And I'm trying.

So go out and network. The more people that are in the know that you are searching for a job, the better your chances. Chances will happen. There's going to be a lot of baby boomers retiring in the next decade.

So go out and make some half-century-aged friends.

No comments: